MINOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
Table of Contents
ARTICLE 1 - NAME AND MEMBERSHIP AFFILIATION
ARTICLE 2 – AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
ARTICLE 3 – MEMBERSHIP
ARTICLE 4 – LEAGUE LOGO AND NAME
ARTICLE 5 – THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
ARTICLE 6 – APPOINTED BOARD MEMBERS
ARTICLE 7 – AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS
ARTICLE 8 – AMENDMENTS TO PLAYING RULES
ARTICLE 9 – BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETINGS
ARTICLE 10 – ANNUAL MEETING
BY-LAW 1: THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
BY-LAW 2: POWERS AND DUTIES
BY-LAW 3: REGISTRATION FEES
BY-LAW 4: HONORARIUMS AND EXPENSES
BY-LAW 5: CONFLICT OF INTEREST CODE
BY-LAW 6: ASSOCIATION NAME AND TEAM COLOURS
1. This Ottawa City B League, which is authorized by Ottawa District Minor Hockey Association, hereinafter also referred to as “ODMHA”, to operate as the “B” Competitive League, shall be known as the “Ottawa B Minor Hockey League”, hereinafter also referred to as the “B League” or “OBMHL”.
2. The Executive Committee and Board of Directors of the OBMHL is authorized by ODMHA to operate the designated “B” Competitive League under the guidance and direction of the ODMHA.
3. The OBMHL, by virtue of its membership in the ODMHA, is a member of Hockey Canada, the governing body of amateur hockey in Canada.
4. A copy of the OBMHL, Constitution, By-Laws and Playing Rules & Regulations, duly updated to reflect all amendments and revisions in bold type, shall be submitted for approval of the ODMHA by September 30th of each playing season.
1. To provide a league for teams of players in participating minor hockey associations within the ODMHA at the designated ‘B’ level.
2. To promote fair play and sportsmanship, and to develop the skills of the players in the League, through the provision of a safe and competitive environment.
3. To exercise general care and direction over players, teams, associations/clubs, officials and executives of the League to ensure compliance with the Ottawa B League’s Constitution, By-Laws and Playing Rules & Regulations.
1. The OBMHL currently consists of the following participating district’s Associations:
District 3 – Lower Ottawa Valley (*)
District 4 – Rideau/Carleton
District 9 – Gloucester
District 10 – Nepean
District 11 - Kanata
District 12 – Cumberland
District B - Ottawa
Note: OBMHL is available for application by June 1st for membership to be considered to other Associations/Clubs in other districts within the boundaries of ODMHA.
(*Two year Pilot Project 2012-2014.)
2. Participating members are required to pay league registration fees for each team in accordance with the rates and policies established by the OBMHL, no later than Oct. 30th. Failure by any member association to pay the required fees is subject to possible suspension from league participation and fines as determined by the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE 4 – LEAGUE LOGO AND NAME
1. The OBMHL ‘B’ League logo and name shall not be used or altered under any circumstances unless the Executive Committee has granted prior written authorization.
1. The Board of Directors shall govern in a manner consistent with the Constitution, Bylaws, Rules and Regulations of HOCKEY CANADA, ODHA; ODMHA, OBMHL Constitution, the Board of Directors shall administer the business and affairs of the OBMHL.
2. The Board of Directors of the League shall consist of both an elected executive; plus appointed members, as specified below:
a) President and Chairperson of Board Meetings
c) Director of Discipline & Appeals
f) Convener for each division
i. Permission to vote pending the # of club/Association Representatives, to be determined at September Meeting
g) A representative from each Association/Competitive Club
h) Risk and Safety Coordinator
i) Webmaster (non voting)
j) B League Referee-in-Chief (non voting)
k) Representative appointed by ODMHA (non voting)
l) Past President (voting)
3. The term of the elected Board of Directors of the OBMHL shall commence following the Annual Meeting and continue for a 2-year term to a maximum of two terms, unless there are no qualified candidates.
4. The Executive Committee will consist of the President, Vice-President, Director of D&A, Secretary and Treasurer. They shall be nominated 10 days in advance to the Annual Meeting, in writing to the Secretary using the OBMHL Nomination Form (all nominations will be posted on the B League website five (5) days prior to the Annual Meeting) and elected at the Annual Meeting. Should one of these elective positions not be filled at the Annual Meeting or becomes vacant before his/her term expires, the Board of Directors shall appoint a replacement to fill the vacant position until the next Annual Meeting.
Election will be as follows:
a) President – Odd Years
b) Vice-President – Even Years
c) Director of Discipline & Appeals – Odd Years
d) Treasurer – Even years
e) Secretary – Odd years
5. The immediate Past President may attend all meetings and act in an advisory capacity. He/she shall when called upon, perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President and Vice-President. He/she shall have the rights and powers of the President during regular meetings that he/she has been called upon to Chair. When called upon, the Past President may hold the position of Chairperson of a standing committee. When acting as President, he/she shall not vote except when such vote is required to break a tie.
1. The following board positions appointed by the Executive Committee must be approved by the Board of Directors at the next scheduled meeting following the appointment.
a) Convener for each division
b) Risk & Safety Co-ordinator
d) Referee in Chief
1. The Constitution and By-Laws of the OBMHL shall not be amended except at the Annual Meeting. Notice of proposed amendments shall be provided to the Secretary in written form no less than thirty days (30) prior to the date of the Annual Meeting submitted on the OBMHL Constitutional Amendment Form. The Secretary shall ensure it is posted on the B League website 15 days prior to the Annual Meeting. Proposed amendments may only be submitted by the participating Associations/clubs as approved by their B League Representative and the Executive Committee.
2. All proposed amendments to the Constitution and By-Laws shall be made by motion and require a two-thirds majority of voting members present at the Annual Meeting. No amendments to any amendment may be proposed at the Annual Meeting, except that changes to improve the clarity of the motion may be made if agreed upon by a two-thirds majority vote of the voting members present. Changes must not alter the general intent/meaning of the original motion.
1. Amendments to the playing rules may be recommended at any Board of Directors meeting. All proposed amendments must be in the form of a motion and duly seconded. Motions shall require approval by simple majority (50% + 1) of the Board members prior to implementation. Playing Rules are contained in a separate document to be ratified at the following Annual Meeting.
1. Board of Directors meetings shall be at the call of the President or as provided in the Constitution or By-Laws. In addition:
a) The Secretary shall give notice of meeting to all members at least seven (7) days prior to each meeting.
b) The Board of Directors shall hold a minimum of five (5) meetings during the current playing season, excluding the coaches/managers meeting.
c) If for any reason a meeting has not been called by the President within thirty (30) days after being requested in writing by four or more Board members, a meeting may be called and chaired by an elected board member. Such meeting is subject to the rule of quorum and shall be legal and constitutional.
d) The quorum for the Board of Directors meetings shall be ten (10) members, of which two must be members elected at the Annual Meeting.
e) Attendance at any Board of Directors meeting shall be open to any ODHA/ODMHA or participating Association Executive Member in good standing; as well as any interested observers or invited guests who may be admitted where the Chair grants permission.
f) In the event that a member of the Board of Directors, excluding the elected officers or appointed members, is unable to attend a Board of Directors meeting, he/she shall be entitled to send an alternate to represent him/her which is an Association Executive Member in good standing; full voting privileges will be granted.
g) Emergency meetings of the Board of Directors may be called without the usual seven (7) day notice provided that three (3) members of the executive committee agree to such a meeting.
1. The Annual Meeting must be convened once every year no later than May 30th. The Secretary shall post on the official League website the location, date and time of the meeting 30 days prior to the Annual Meeting.
2. The purpose of the Annual Meeting shall be to review the activities of the past playing season, to consider policies aimed at improving the League’s operations for the coming playing season in light of the League’s stated aims and objectives and to carry out elections.
3. Voting members must be in good standing prior to the commencement of the Annual Meeting.
4. The quorum for the Annual Meeting shall be twelve (12) members, of which two must be elected Executive Committee members on the Board of Directors, or their designated representatives. The appointed members may not designate a substitute representative.
5. The agenda for the Annual Meeting shall be prepared by the Secretary and must include the following essential annual business:
a. President’s Annual Report
b. Vice-President’s Annual Report
c. Director of D&A Annual Report
d. Treasurer’s Annual Report
e. Convener’s Annual Reports
f. Risk Management’s Annual Report
g. Webmaster’s Annual Report
h. Referee-in-Chief’s Annual Report
i. Constitutional and By-Laws Amendments
j. Amendments to the Playing Rules & Regulations
k. Election of President, Vice-President, Director of D&A, Secretary and Treasurer based on odd/even years and shall be hosted by a returning board member.
6. Voting at the Annual Meeting shall be by “secret ballot”, with the following voting privileges:
a. Each elected member of the Executive Committee will have one vote each, with the exception of the executive or board member running the election. He/she will only vote in the case of a tie.
b. The Division Conveners will each have one vote.
c. Each Association Representative or designate will have one vote per team registered in the League at the close of the current playing season.
d. Members holding two “voting” positions; may only cast one vote on any issue.
e. There will be no voting by proxy. Attendance at the Annual Meeting shall be opened to interested observers, invited guests, ODMHA Executives or Association Executives.
1. The President of the OBMHL “B” League shall preside at all Board of Directors meetings; he/she shall not vote except in the case of a tie when he/she shall cast the deciding vote. He/she shall be an ex-officio member of all Standing and Ad Hoc Committees. The President or designate will be the representative of the League to the ODMHA Executive and Minor Council. He/she will co-sign all cheques and documents on behalf of the League.
1. The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President in the latter’s absence or at his request and he/she shall then have all the rights and powers of the President; he/she may hold the position of Chairperson of an Ad Hoc Committee or any Standing Committee. When acting as President, he/she shall not vote except when vote is needed to break a tie. He/she will co-sign all cheques and documents for the league.
DISCIPLINE & APPEALS:
1. Director of D&A will act as Chairperson for all appeals, all discipline hearings involving the conduct of any player, team official, Board of Directors member, Association Executive member; whose conduct is deemed as being detrimental to the interests and image of the OBMHL. He/she shall be responsible for complaints concerning on-ice officials within the League. He/she will also work in partnership with the OBMHL Referee-in-Chief to resolve any officiating matters. In addition, the Director of D&A shall be responsible to compile and maintain a master listing of all suspensions incurred by member teams.
a) Prepare all cheques presented with proper documentation to be co-signed by the President or Vice-President.
b) Keep an accurate record of all monies received and disbursed.
c) Provide thorough prepared statements as well as a bank statement at each regular board and Annual Meeting.
d) Provide by May 15th of each year, a final financial statement to the Board of Directors detailing the past season’s finances, and shall also provide a copy to the President, ODMHA.
d) Prepare a draft budget for the coming playing season and provide details to each member association of OBMHL by June 1st of each year.
e) Prepare a final budget at the beginning of each playing season, to determine participating team fees, and present to the Board of Directors for approval.
f) Establish an Audit Committee from the current executive, the members (at least three) must not be signing officers of the League. This committee’s sole duty is to verify the revenue and expenses of the League not less frequently than every two months starting from the beginning of the current season. The committee will receive monthly authorized statements/reports signed by the bank on a designated day and will compare the balance on it with the balance on the treasurer’s reports.
1. Issue notices of all meetings
2. Provide to all members of the Board of Directors, a copy of the minutes of all board meetings and issue special notices or announcements as required.
3. Maintain records of all proceedings and meetings
4. Have custody of all documents and records pertaining to the affairs of the league.
5. Organize and prepare all documentation for the coaches/managers meeting
6. Organize and prepare all documentation for the Annual Meeting. Accept notices of proposed amendments no less than thirty days (30) prior to the Annual Meeting. Provide copies of all amendments to the Board of Directors no less than fifteen days (15) prior to the Annual Meeting and post on the B League website.
7. Act as Chairperson of the Nominating Committee, advertise and accept nominations for the Executive officers of the League.
8. Conduct the election of officers at the Annual Meeting. He/she may request a member of the ODMHA in good standing to perform the election.
9. Pass on any and all records & documentation and related materials, either physically and/or electronically to successor.
No member of the Executive Committee or Board of Directors may hold more than one elected office within the League at one time.
BY-LAW 2: POWERS AND DUTIES
1. The Executive Committee shall conduct the day-to-day operational duties of the league.
2. The Executive Committee and/or the Board of Directors shall have ultimate and full operational control of the affairs of the League under the direction of the ODMHA.
3. The Executive Committee may suspend or otherwise discipline any association, coach, assistant coach, trainer, manager, player or any other official connected with any organization or association participating in the League for failure to comply with the OBMHL’s Constitution, By-Laws and Playing Rules and Regulations. Such disciplinary action may include the imposition of a monetary penalty, the deduction of points and the expulsion of an individual from the Board of Directors.
4. Notwithstanding the provisions of By-Law 2 part 3, the Executive Committee or the full Board of Directors may suspend or expel any association, team or team member that refuses to accept or comply with a ruling issued by either of those bodies.
5. Any person, team or Association subject to a suspension, fine or other disciplinary action under the OBMHL’s Constitution, By-Laws or Playing Rules may appeal said fine or suspension to the Discipline and Appeals Committee of the ODMHA. All appeals made under this provision; must be received by the Secretary, ODMHA Discipline and Appeals Committee together with the appropriate fee, no later than 72 hours following written notification of the fine, suspension or other disciplinary action by the appropriate disciplinary body of the OBMHL. The right to appeal under By-Law 2 does NOT entitle the appellant to a waiver of the suspension, fine or other disciplinary action pending the result of the appeal.
6. The Executive Committee shall determine all questions arising from emergencies not provided for in this Constitution, By-Laws or Playing Rules.
1. Registration fees for teams participating in each Division shall be approved by the Board of Directors and shall, as a minimum be sufficient to cover administration, awards, special events and referee costs if applicable.
a. Registration fees shall be made payable to the Ottawa ‘B’ League and provided to the B League Treasurer as follows:
i. Coach/Manager Meeting held in October – full amount per team
b. Failure by any association to render payment in a timely manner could result in a penalty of $50 per month effective November 1st of the current playing season.
BY-LAW 4: HONORARIUMS AND EXPENSES
1. The Executive Committee, who may incur expenses while acting on behalf of the League, may be reimbursed with the prior approval of the Executive Committee.
1. No member of the Executive Committee shall act in the capacity as coach, assistant coach, manager or trainer of any member team.
2. No member of the Board of Directors may enter into any business dealings with the League in exchange for any financial considerations.
3. No member of the Board of Directors may enter into, directly or indirectly, providing a sponsorship or any financial assistance to any member team of the League.
4. No member of the Board of Directors may hold any elected position within the ODHA/ODMHA, with the exception of the ODMHA appointed representative. No person who holds the position of District or Alternate Chairperson for any ODMHA District or AAA Zone, may hold any position on the Board of Directors, either elected or appointed unless approved by the Board of Directors.
5. No member of the Board of Directors shall be a paid employee, full or part time, of Hockey Canada, ODHA, ODMHA or any professional hockey organization or club.
6. For appeal hearings, any member with a conflict of interest must excuse themselves.
1. Any new or existing association that introduces or alters their associations name or colour scheme in any manner must first have prior written approval from the OBMHL Executive Committee before proceeding with any changes or adjustments. Final approval must be obtained and approved by ODMHA.
Draft 1: November 2011
Draft 2: January 2012;
Draft 3: March 27, 2012 ;
Approved at AGM: May 30th, 2012
PDF Copy of Constitution Available for Download